Veterinary Medicine Pioneer Has Passed
After a long battle with Parkinson’s
disease, Dr. Joseph E Wagner passed away the morning of Oct.
26, 2007. To those who knew him, Dr. Wagner was an icon in
laboratory animal medicine. His research on infectious disease
of laboratory animals was central to the establishment of
many of the paradigms we take for granted today. He led the
charge in development of novel diagnostic methodologies of
laboratory animal medicine and founded the Research Animal
Diagnostic Laboratory. Moreover, he touched so many through
his leadership in the University of Missouri Comparative Medicine
Training Program and his activities in AALAS and ACLAM.
Dr. Wagner was born July 29, 1938,
in Dubuque, Iowa. He received his Doctorate in Veterinary
Medicine from Iowa State University. He earned an MPH from
Tulane University and a PhD in pathology from the University
of Illinois. He served residencies in lab animal medicine
at Tulane and in veterinary pathology at the University of
Illinois. He joined the faculty of the University of Missouri
College of Veterinary Medicine in 1969. He served as an Associate
Professor and Professor in veterinary pathology for the CVM,
Principal Investigator and Director of the CVM Research Animal
Diagnostic and Investigative Laboratory, Interim Chairman
and Chairman in the CVM Department of Veterinary Pathology
and Chairman Area Faculty in Laboratory Animal Medicine, Graduate
Among his numerous awards, he was
honored in 1989 as the recipient of the Curator’s Professorship,
and in 1993 he received the College of Veterinary Medicine
Dean’s Impact Award.
He will be missed.
Visitation was held Oct. 29, 2007
at Memorial Park Funeral Home, 1217 Business Loop 70 West
Columbia, MO 65202.
The family wishes donations be made
to the Joseph E. Wagner Comparative Medicine Training Fellowship
(C/O Pat Parry, E116 Veterinary Medicine Building, 1600 E
Rollins Rd. Columbia, MO 65211) or University of Missouri
American Parkinson Disease Association (APDA-St. Louis Chapter@
Campus Box 8111, 660 S. Euclid Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110).
Return to News and Events home