Disclaimer: The University of Missouri’s College of Veterinary Medicine often joins with its colleagues in the pharmaceutical, pet and livestock feed, and other related industries to present programs or sponsor events beneficial to the education of veterinary students. This relationship neither constitutes an endorsement of products or services offered by these companies nor is the CVM intending to influence students, faculty, or staff of the college to use those products or services. Decisions on sponsorship of programs or events are based solely on the educational merit of the material to be presented. As medical professionals, veterinarians and veterinary students are expected to make judgments based on scientific evidence.
Policy: The distribution or the sale of products and services on or off the College of Veterinary Medicine’s (CVM) campus to professional students, staff, and faculty other than those offered by official University of Missouri entities (e.g., the Veterinary Health Center, Diagnostic Laboratory, and the MVES Bookstore) must have prior approval by the office of the Associate Dean of Academic and Student Affairs. Any activity that is inconsistent with the mission of the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) or is in competition with the CVM / MVES bookstore is prohibited. The Dean’s office (with input from the faculty) reserves the right to stop the distribution of any product, educational material, marketing material, or external speaker’s appearance that violates the mission of the CVM.
The CVM requirements for extramural entities to interact with students and/or personnel in the CVM are:
- Commercial entities agree to these guidelines in writing with the Dean’s office.
- To hold a commercial company-sponsored event with MU-CVM students (including sponsorship of student organizations), the commercial companies must register with the Dean’s office a minimum of 2 weeks in advance of the event. The Dean’s office reserves the right to decline approval. The proposal form is linked below and should include the following:
- The topic of the presentation and the name of the external speaker.
- A description of the proposed activity.
- Types of products, materials, or services to be distributed or marketed.
- The Associate Dean of Academic and Student Affairs will review the proposal and forward the materials to the appropriate faculty for advice on approval of the distribution of products, educational materials, marketing materials, or invitations to external speakers.
- Appropriate faculty is defined as faculty whose discipline, clinic section, or course is directly related to the subject area involved in, or possibly affected by, the distribution of the product, educational materials, marketing materials, or external speaker topics
COMMERCIAL REQUEST FOR STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES
Entities seeking student representatives for their company must submit a request for approval through the office of the Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs using the request form linked below.
- Students must be in good academic standing and have at least one semester of academic experience to be approved.
- Paid student representative relationships must be re-approved every year.
- The Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs can disallow any specific student representative for any cause.
Policy approved by the College of Veterinary Medicine Dean, Associate Deans, Department Chairs, and Directors on February 13, 2012.