As the name suggest, prior consent is required to take these electives. There are both on campus consent electives and off campus consent electives. These can only be added to your schedule by Jennifer Hamilton.
On-Campus Consent Elective process
1. The student contacts the course instructor to see if an opening is available for the time period desired. (Instructors should remember to reserve spaces in blocks 9-12 for the following class).
2. If the instructor approves, they can email the student back and copy Jennifer Hamilton. This will provide the dates and the approval in one email. Jennifer will enroll the student in both myZou and EValue.
a. Approval of an elective needs to be confirmed at least one (full) clinic block before the start of the block when the elective takes place. (Example, an elective in block 5 needs to be approved before block 4 begins.)
Off -Campus Consent Elective process – not scheduled by student in Evalue
1. If the student has a location in mind, they will need to need to contact that location to verify that students are allowed to come there during the specific time period. If the student wants more experience in an area but does not know where to start, Dr. Tennison or the CVM course leader may be able to provide some assistance in finding a location.
2. Once a location and time period has been found, the student needs to contact the CVM course leader of the elective.
a. Students should clarify how many credits they will receive. Although in-house electives are given 1 credit/week, not all off-campus rotations receive this amount.
b. Each course leader decides which experiences merit off-campus credit. Some require the mentor to be board certified, while others do not.
3. The course leader will need to let Jennifer Hamilton know via email that the elective has been approved so that she can enroll the student in both myZou and EValue.
a. For off-campus graded electives in surgery at Veterinary Specialty Services (VSS), Midwest Veterinary Referral Center (MVRC) or internal medicine at Dr. Hause’s practice (Associated Veterinary Specialists), once the time period is approved, it can be entered into EValue and Jennifer with notify either Dr. Luther or Dr. Cohn. Their direct approval is not needed.
b. AVS: firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-739-1510 (Megan Graham, RVT)
c. VSS: email@example.com (Kara Donaldson, RVT)
d. MVRC: firstname.lastname@example.org (Laura Collett)
4. You must submit this Off Campus Elective/Preceptorship Request Form at least 2 blocks in advance of your proposed experience. If you are planning something for block 4 the form will need to be submitted during block 2.
5. The course leader will need to decide how the student will be graded. If the off campus site will be assigning a grade, then the course leader needs to make sure that they receive grade information as soon as possible after completion in order for that the grade to be entered into myZou.
6. Approval of an off campus elective needs to be confirmed at least one (full) clinic block before the start of the block when the elective takes place. (Example, an elective in block 5 needs to be approved before block 4 begins.)