The departmental honors program is for qualifying students enrolled in the BS in Microbiology major. Students are not required to be enrolled in the MU Honors College to participate. Students who successfully complete the departmental honors program will be acknowledged with the notation of “BS in Microbiology with Honors” on their diplomas and transcripts.
Eligibility for Acceptance into the departmental Honors Program
- Completion of 45 credit hours. Transfer students must have completed at least 15 hours of credit through the University of Missouri.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.30 or higher.
- To be accepted into the Honors program, students must complete the Microbiology Honors Program Application and submit the completed form to their academic advisor.
To receive the BS in Microbiology with Honors distinction, students will be required to satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Satisfy the BS degree requirements
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.30
- Complete six credits of undergraduate research (V_PBIO 4950 and V_PBIO 4970)*
- Submit a copy of one of the following to your academic advisor:
- A poster or an abstract of an oral presentation given by the student at a scientific meeting
- A manuscript describing the student’s research written in a format suitable for publication in a scientific journal
- In the last semester of studies before graduation, inform your academic advisor that you will satisfy the honors requirement so that the Registrar can be notified, and the honors recognition placed on your diploma and transcript.
*Note that steps 3 and 4 combined can also be used to fulfill the capstone requirement for graduation.