The Department of Veterinary Pathobiology offers an honors program for qualifying students enrolled in the Bachelor of Science in Microbiology major. The Honors Program in Microbiology is designed to provide exceptional students with opportunities to develop research and analytical skills beyond that obtained in the regular course of study. Students who attain this level of achievement will be acknowledged with the notation of “BS in Microbiology with Honors” on their diplomas and transcripts. Students are not required to be enrolled in the MU Honors College to participate.
Eligibility for Acceptance into the Honors Program
- Completion of 45 credit hours. Transfer students must have completed at least 15 hours of credit through the University of Missouri.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.30 or higher
Students must complete the Honors Program Application and submit it to the Undergraduate Microbiology Program Director to be accepted into the Honors program. Upon acceptance, a research mentor/advisor will be selected.
To receive the BS in Microbiology with Honors distinction, students will be required to satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Satisfy the BS degree requirements
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.30
- Complete six credit hours of research (Undergraduate Research V_PBIO 4950 and V_PBIO 4970)*
- Present to the Undergraduate Microbiology Program Director one of the following:
- A poster or an abstract of an oral presentation given by the student at a scientific meeting
- A manuscript describing the student’s research written in a format suitable for publication in a scientific journal
*Note that steps 3 and 4 combined can also be used to fulfill the capstone requirement for graduation.
- In the last semester of studies before graduation, inform the Undergraduate Microbiology Program Director that you will satisfy the honors requirement so that the Registrar can be notified and the honors recognition placed on your diploma and transcript.